BLEPHARITIS, is a chronic (long-term) inflammation of the eyelids which causes irritation, itching and occasionally redness of the eyes and eyelids. Blepharitis can begin in early childhood producing “granulated eye-lids” and may continue throughout life or develop later in life. It may be characterized by; redness of the eyes or lids, flaking around the eyelashes or the formation of mattered hard crusts around the eye lashes. If left untreated, there is an increased chance of stys, eye infections, loss of eye lashes and/or distortion of the eyelid margins causing chronic tearing. Since this is a long term condition, consistent lid hygiene is necessary. The following regimen may be helpful.
- Wash your hands thoroughly
- Wet a clean soft washcloth with very warm water
- Apply three (3) drops of baby shampoo
- Gently scrub both eyelids for two (2) minutes with the eyes closed
- Rinse with cool tap water
- Gently dry with a clean towel
Click the video below to view this method of eyelash cleaningView Video
(As an alternative treatment, use Avenova Solution, a Lids & Lashes® or Eye-Scrub™ pad to scrub eyelids instead of a baby shampoo soaked cloth or cotton ball.)
- The eyelids should be cleaned in this fashion every morning and night.
- Dr. yeager might prescribe an antibiotic ointment to be applied to the eyelids at bedtime.
- Treatment of oily scalp with an anti dandruff shampoo may be helpful.